Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Gingerbread Tradition

I realize this is a little late, but it was still blog-worthy, so here you go...

When you're a kid you don't realize all the time and energy that goes into some of the famiy traditions. Sophie LOVES to help me cook, so I thought she would be old enough to start one of my favorite family traditions--gingerbread houses! I had NO idea what I was getting into, and I still can't believe that my mom would make enough gingerbread dough for each one of us to make our own gingerbread house. WOW! It ended up being a two night activity, and despite the mess and time it took, it was by-far the best Christmas activity that we did together this year. It will be repeated next year, and the next, and the next. Definately worth it!

We spent the first night mixing up the dough, rolling it out and cutting all our shapes.


You'll see me using a ruler to get my house perfect.....HA! What a waste of time that was! By the time I moved it to the cookie sheet and baked it, I was more than an inch and half off on my wall heighths, my roof didn't fit, etc. So after it was all cooked I took a serrated knife to it and did some remodeling. Next year I think I'll just cook up sheets of gingerbread and then do the cutting.


Sophie had a great time rolling out dough and cutting shapes too.


Night number two consisted of decorating and constructing!


Mark helped Sophie decorate too and we all had a great time! They made a Mom, Dad, Sophie, Bella, and Carson gingerbread for the front yard, along with trees, snowman, etc. Mark mastermind a 'dog house' that ended up looking like a coffin for the front yard as well! (He said it was because I tried to 'fix' it!) Here's a picture of some of the best!


And the finished product was just too cute!

1 comment:

GrandmaPeggy said...

There is a reason we don't do that anymore around here. They were very long days, fun though. We tried it once with the grandkids and everyone, we tried it once. I heard it would works with just having the gingerbread men and girls made and let everyone decorate them in an evening. Whole houses are a project for small families on a once a year basis!